Implementation Step 2: Establish a QMS Team
Once you have the commitment from top management, the next step is for the CEO or top manager is to appoint a Quality Management Representative (QMR). This position is very critical to the success of the implementation. The QMR is the main contact for the registrar and they are also the main resource for quality information.The QMR will be responsible for creating a team that will work on the new quality system.
It is best if the quality management representative does not have a conflict of interest. If they are the production manager who has the main goal of shipping "everything that is not bolted down" at the end of the month, then they might be a poor choice as the main quality management representative.
The QMR should:
- Have quality as their number one goal and should not be given competing goals like revenue generation (monthly shipments).
- Have a passionate commitment to the quality of the product and the development of the QMS.
- Have the authority and respect to make changes in the organization that are required by the QMS.
- Have consistent backing from the top management team.
- Be given the resources to properly implement the QMS
- Have experience with the creation and maintenance of ISO level quality management systems.
The management representative should appoint personnel for all the major area of the company including:
- Customer service (including order entry, order processing, and service)
- Quality and document control
- Inventory Control
Once this group has received same basic ISO 9000 awareness training, they can meet to assign tasks for the next phase of implementation. This group will lead the development of the new quality system and will assist in training others within the organization.
Although the Management Representative is the main champion for the quality system, the other team members should be treated as co-champions from the very beginning. Having early buy-in from this group will help generate wide-spread acceptance at all levels of the company.